If you are considering buying a Rabbit for a pet there are a number of important points to remember.
Where to Buy your Rabbit.
- The best place to buy a Rabbit is from a Breeder who is a member of a Rabbit Club and who actively exhibits their bunnies at shows. They will have rabbits that are much closer to the standard of Excellence, will not have cross breeds and will be able to give you much more accurate information about caring for your bunnies.
- WARCI Approved Breeders have to fullfil very high standards of experience and customer service to become an Approved Breeder. Their rabbits and service are backed by WARCI as we know the standard of rabbits and information they give you is excellent.
- There are many breeds of rabbits and as most breeders specialise in a couple of breeds they are more likely to know whether their breeds of rabbits are the most suitable pet for you.
- Experienced rabbit breeders can answer your questions about the best care for your rabbit. They can advise about food, housing and husbandry.
- You can contact them in the future if you have any questions or problems about your rabbit.
- When you buy a particular breed you know what your bunny will grow up to be like. If you buy a crossbred bunny or one of unknown parentage you may be disappointed if it grows larger - or smaller -than you anticipated!!
- A registered breeder should only sell you a bunny more than eight weeks old. If you buy a bunny any younger than this you run a real risk that the bunny will not survive.
- We also believe that generally a male rabbit makes a better pet than a female rabbit.
What Breed of Rabbit should I buy?
There is a huge selection of breeds to choose from. Like any other pets, such as cats or dogs, different breeds of rabbits have different personalities. It is important to choose the right rabbit for your family and lifestyle to avoid future disappointment.
- Do not buy on impulse or buy the first cute baby bunny you see—they are all cute when they are babies!!
- Different people like different rabbits. Some like small rabbits, some like large; some like upright ears, some like lop ears; some like long coats, some like short coats; and some like white rabbits with pink eyes and some like coloured rabbits.
- Generally we recommend larger rabbits for small children (4 and under) as they are docile, cannot be picked up easily and are more robust.
- Smaller rabbits (such as Netherland Dwarfs) are more suitable for older children. They are less likely to lovingly squeeze and injure a small rabbit.
- Only buy a long coated rabbit if you are prepared to spend some time grooming them.
Below is a Table of rabbit breeds that are currently available in WA.
| BREED|| SIZE|| EARS|| COAT|| PET|| COMMENT|
| Netherland Dwarf || Small || Upright|| Short|| Yes|| Older Children|
| Polish|| Small ||Upright || Short|| No|| Very Lively|
| Mini Lop|| Small || Lop|| Short || Yes|| |
| Dutch|| Small-Medium||Upright || Short ||Yes || |
| Tan|| Small-Medium ||Upright || Short || No|| Very Nervous|
| Mini Rex|| Small-Medium ||Upright || V. Short||Fair || Depends on Rabbit|
| Dwarf Lop|| Medium|| Lop|| Short ||Yes || |
| Cashmere Lop|| Medium || Lop|| Long||Yes || Requires Grooming|
| English|| Medium ||Upright || Short ||Yes || |
| Magpie/Harlequin|| Medium ||Upright || Medium||Yes || |
| Silver Fox|| Medium ||Upright ||Medium ||Yes || |
| Smoke Pearl|| Medium ||Upright ||Medium ||Yes || |
| Sable|| Medium ||Upright ||Medium ||Yes || |
| Satin|| Medium ||Upright ||Medium ||Yes || |
| Angora|| Medium ||Upright || V. Long|| No|| MUST BE GROOMED|
| Rex|| Medium ||Upright || V. Short|| No|| Pet for Adult|
| Swiss Fox|| Medium ||Upright || Long|| No|| Pet For Adult. Grooming|
| Californian||Large||Upright ||Medium ||Yes || |
| New Zealand White||Large ||Upright ||Medium ||Yes || |
| British Giant||Large ||Upright ||Medium||Yes|| |
PLEASE NOTE: Their suitability as a pet is to be used as a guide only. Individual rabbits of any breed may be more or less suitable as pets.
Also some of these breeds are quite rare and you may not be able to get one immediately.